[Dixielandjazz] Creation and Re-creation

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 12:51:04 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/20/2005 12:01:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

I think  we're focusing more on what jazz ultimately can be, rather than what
it is,  ie, a type of music exclusively utilising syncopated rhythm.
In other  words, it is possible to BOTH create jazz, and re-create  jazz,
--
Etc,
Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon

As a jazz educator, I must have some sort of "indicator" of what jazz music
is, for young people.  Since technically, jazz has encompassed so many  other
forms of music and "brought them into the fold" (Pretty good analogy,  huh?),
the old "syncopated rhythm" thing just doesn't work in 2005, since there  are
the forms like latin jazz, smooth jazz, jazz/rock fusion, hip hop, and so
many others.  Now none of you have to agree with me as to whether you like  or
dislike these other forms of jazz music, but they do exist.
Because if these things, the one thing that seems to "get" to the younger
players, is the "creativity and improvisation" aspect of the music.
In the genre of big band music, do we "create or re-create" any certain
arrangement when we perform it?  If the solos are improvised and not "off a
record" or written out by an arranger (as is done in many high school big band
arrangements), then we technically create something new each time we perform
that arrangement.  To me, that makes it a jazz performance.  It is  like I tell
the young bands when I am judging at festivals, if you are playing  the same
written solos every time in a big band arrangement, then what you have  is a
"swing concert band," not a jazz band.
I hope this explains my views better.......................
Mike Vax