[Dixielandjazz] PBS Concert and New Orleans music

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 08:05:55 PDT 2005

Some of the points of my original post were missed... And I am sure that is
because I don't "have a way with words."

I didn't say Marsallis couldn't swing... I said his ensemble didn't swing on
"Dippermouth Blues".  But that is MY opinion.

When I mentioned Titan Hot 7, I wasn't thinking of their stage performances
as much as the music they produce.  It is so full of energy and not done in
the original, note for note presentation.

My objection was that Steve said all festival bands play poorly.

I am sorry I overlooked Irving Mayfield in my earlier post, because I
thoroughly enjoyed his playing and song selection and my heart broke for him
when he said his dad is still missing.  I got to hear him lecture at the
SatchmoSummerFest in August.  He was very articulate and likeable and was
able to convey from his standpoint of a trumpet player, what is so difficult
about the notes Louis played with little effort.  Since I DON'T play, I
appreciated this information.

I sincerely hope that the monies raised from this PBS concert goes to the
New Orleans musicians who  have lost their means of support.

I DO listen to various styles of music at festivals with OPEN ears.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX