[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt - Memories Of You URL

starwaterlogo starwaterlogo at mpinet.net
Mon Sep 19 01:21:02 PDT 2005

> Following the previous posts regarding Al Hirt, I put up a quickie web
page
> where you can hear an mp3 of "Memories Of You" off his "Horn A Plenty"
> album

There are many things to like about this chart (and all the other tracks on
the album). One interesting thing is the very first note. Very interesting
sonic mix, sounds to me like the low piano blended with low brass, with the
piano very prominent. Gives a really interesting bed on which to layer the
rest of the band. Then the extreme contrast between the whole introductory
vamp and Al's entrance, and again as he slows it up and moves into the
ballad. Super cool when the vibes come in to join Al and the superb French
horn lines. Also note the super high French horns at the end. Billy May
makes superb use of French horns throughout the album.

I don't know if I've ever heard another album quite like this one and I
never get tired of listening to it.