[Dixielandjazz] Hurricane Relief Concert

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 07:29:03 PDT 2005

Gee, Steve... I suggest you attend more festivals......  Jim and I were not
impressed with  Marsalis and his 8 piece band... In fact, it was a pitiful
attempt.  Winton started off with his mute and after a few bars, took it
out.  They all looked lost and unsure of what they were supposed to be
playing.  "Oh play that thing" was very feeble and the rest of the band
almost played right over it.  It DIDN'T swing.

Listen to Titan Hot 6's version of Dippermouth... Or better yet, listen to
King Oliver.
Yep, Diana Krall was the nearest to OKOM that was presented.

Where was Preservation Hall Band?  Where were the musicians from New
Orleans?  Duke Heitger, Connie Jones, Jacque Gauthe, Evan Christopher, Banu
Gibson, David Boudinhause, Tim Laughlin, Dukes of Dixieland ?....and you get
my drift.

The night turned way too political for an occasion seeking relief for the
displaced New Orleans musicians.  One wonders if any of the money would find
its way to any musician that is not black.

The music presented last night was not what we go to New Orleans to hear on
a regular basis.   I only hope all our friends who know we attend jazz
festivals don't think it is for TKOM.  (THAT kind of music).

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX