[Dixielandjazz] The Multitude of Hurricane Relief Concerts

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 18 06:05:44 PDT 2005

Hi Sandy:

I did not see it all, returning from a gig, but I certainly did see Marsalis
with a great 8 piece band play "Dippermouth Blues".

I also saw/heard a lot of post trad jazz, as well as some really neat
conversation about the importance of the city of New Orleans to America.
This was the gist of the show, IMO, not just "Jazz".

Trad Jazz? Heck, I can hear that anywhere. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve

on 9/18/05 1:06 AM, Don Gumpert at dongumpert at cox.net wrote:

> My houseguests (evacuees from Gulfport, Ms) and I just watched the entire
> PBS Hurricane Relief concert...the only song approaching jazz was a very
> lame rendition of "Basin Street Blues".  It was perhaps the most
> disappointing five hours I have ever spent and I plan to let PBS know.  I
> thought they would at least end with "Do You Know What It Means" or "Saints"
> and was totally disappointed!
> Regards from a very sleepy
> Sandy Gumpert
> Fort Walton Beach, Florida