[Dixielandjazz] Ashes

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Sep 15 16:52:59 PDT 2005

Although I didn't have it all quite right I was pretty close.   The web site
that you sent http://www.rhymes.org.uk/mary_mary_quite_contrary.htm really
does tell the stories.  I studied Medieval and English history as well as
all the standard American stuff  (among others such as Revolutions, American
through Cuban) in another life, along with music.  We covered some of the
rhymes and I found it interesting.

I have had some issues with the urban legend web site before.

Anytime you are dealing with "Folk" music or art, including poetry, the
origins are sometimes very hard to trace.  Many historians totally discount
oral history.  The position taken if you don't have some hard evidence it
didn't happen.  There has been a debate for years about how far the Norsemen
got in North America and other debates center around religion.  There are
hundreds of archeologists right now looking for shreds of biblical history
to "prove" their particular viewpoint about something such as the existence
of Noah's Ark .  Personally I think it was washed up on the beach at Biloxi.
The common thread is that without direct evidence you can have differences
of opinion.

For those of you that believe the urban legend site might look at the one
Tom sent.

Larry Walton