[Dixielandjazz] Saying "Hi" and Counting Blessings

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:12:42 PDT 2005

Hi folks,

Though I haven't contributed to the list in a long while, I've indeed been
lurking, but have been awfully busy during this past odd and surreal month.
I'd just like to share a couple of recent things that listmates might be
interested in.

Last weekend, Detroit had its most successful jazz festival in a long, long
while.  Oddly enough, the Regal Brass Band from New Orleans had, not only
been booked, but made it here and performed each day of the festival.  This
year, the northbound side of Woodward Avenue was closed for the festival
from Hart Plaza up to the new Campus Martius park.  Two stages were added
along this stretch as well as food vendors, etc.  The Regal band played a
second line parade all the way up and down this stretch of Woodward with
many hundreds of people enthusiastically cheering them on. I met a couple of
the band members that night at a jam session.  They didn't seem to know
where they were going to go from here (seeing as they are actually from New
Orleans).

After watching the hurricane devastation on TV for several days, it felt
very odd to talk to these musicians.  I'd mentioned that I'd been planning
to go to New Orleans for the first time in April for the French Quarter
Festival.  They encouraged me to go, that it is not to be missed.  I
couldn't decide if they were in a sort-of denial, or if the full extent of
the devastation had not sunken in.  I bought them a round and wished them
well, and hope to see them perform again one day, but in their rebuilt home
town.

The following night of the festival, I took my eight-year old boy to hear
Dave Brubeck.  After an excellent show, with an elbow-to-elbow crowd, the
festival was formally dedicated to the memory of the late pianist, Dr. Teddy
Harris.  The Regal Brass Band once again performed, making their way through
thousands of people and up to the stage playing "Just a Closer Walk With
Thee."  When they reached the stage, they broke into the Saints and Dave
Brubeck came out and joined them on the piano.  Yes, it was for Teddy
Harris, but it was also for the band and for all the others effected by the
tragedy.  That hardcore jazz was crowd was up and dancing and cheering them
on.  It really was a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

I've also been fortunate enough to go on a visit to the East Coast.  In
Philadelphia I got to meet F2F listmate Steve Barbone and to hear his
wonderful and swinging band.  I'd like to publicly thank him for a number he
dedicated to my visit, Oh, Lady Be Good, with the Thelonious Monk melody
Hackensack played as an intro.  Steve Barbone and I are enthusiasts of
modern jazz as well as OKOM and it was truly a highlight of my trip.  BTW
Steve-we also listened to the Barbone Street, Live at West Chester
University CD many times on our long drive home.

Please pardon me for touching on several topics in one post.  I'd like to
add, though, that I'm saddened to hear of the passing of listmate Charlie
Hooks.  A couple of years back, we used to post and correspond quite a bit.
Since he came back on the list several weeks ago, I'd been intending on
writing to him, but kept putting it off.  Oh tomorrow.  Long work hours
today, I'll do it tomorrow.  I had saved his post regarding Jazz Funerals.
It seems rather ironic now.  I never did write to him.  After he passed,
though, I did pop a CD in and sing along with him singing Bourbon Street
Parade.  Maybe he heard it (of course, since I can't sing, he maybe had to
plug his ears : )

I've been so fortunate lately, and indeed, have been counting my blessings
in light of all the distress.  For last night, I happened to get seats on
the home dugout for a Tigers game (and my son got a ball) as well as see the
Rolling Stones in concert.  I know that's not everyone's cup of tea on this
list, but it made me wonder what would happen if some of our OKOM bands
added some pyrotechnics to their shows (crowds seem to go crazy for that
sort of thing : )

I hope that everyone on the list is doing well.  Oh wait, one more thing.  I
received David Littlefield's new second volume Traditional Jazz fake books.
It's pretty hardcore (lots of Jelly Roll Morton and King Oliver).  Having a
great time playing out of it and highly recommend it.

Take care,
Rob McCallum