[Dixielandjazz] FBBJ - New Orleans Musicians Fund - another idea to help

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 12:07:30 PDT 2005

At our recent board meeting of Friends of Big Band Jazz (501c3 nonprofit
corporation), we discussed the plight of many New Orleans musicians, in the
aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  There are many wonderful things already being
done to help them, but we  decided to start our own fund to help them in the
future.  Many of these musicians are living  temporarily with friends, family or
just caring individuals all over the United  States.  Many have lost much of
what  they had, including possessions, living quarters and even musical
instruments.  They could be out of work for quite a long time.  We know that, once the
initial horror of  this catastrophic event has diminished somewhat, the
reality of how to get on  with their lives will set in.  We  want to pick a few
musicians and their families and help as much as we can, as  they start to try to
put their lives back together in the coming  months.
Any funds that are raised will go directly to our chosen musicians.  There
will be no administrative charges  of any kind.  Through many friends  who lived
in New Orleans, people who are in contact with these musicians, and  maybe
even from some of you, we will ascertain what musicians we can pick to  make the
best use of our fund.
If you would like to make a donation, please make your check out to  Friends
of Big Band Jazz and put on the subject line: New Orleans Musicians  Fund.
This will be a  tax-deductible, charitable donation for you.
Mail to:
Friends of Big Band Jazz
500 Oakland Ave.
Oakland, CA 94611