[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [ocsm-list] AFM Gulf Coast Relief Fund

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 09:31:00 PDT 2005

 Our Gulf Coast musicians have been devastated by Katrina and attached is a plea from the American Federation of Musicians to help by sending any dollar amount you can, send and it will be matched by the Union. This effort will be greatly appreciated by those who need it to replace destroyed and damaged instruments.

Please read the attached.

Dave Hanson
Vice President
Atlanta Federation of Musicians
Local 148-462

Subject: [ocsm-list] AFM Gulf Coast Relief Fund

September 8, 2005

Dear Members and Officers:

The tragic events surrounding the destruction and havoc created by Hurricane
Katrina have affected thousands of people in the Southeastern United States
and created a disaster of epic proportions. It will take many months to
clear the debris and rebuild homes and businesses. We look forward to the
day when the citizens of these areas will be able to move back into their
homes but until then, they need help.

At least three Locals, comprising over 1,000 AFM members, have been affected
by Hurricane Katrina: Local 174-496 (New Orleans, LA), Local 777 (Biloxi,
MS), and Local 579 (Jackson, MS). We have been attempting to contact the
Local Officers to receive first hand reports but at this time communication
is difficult if not impossible.

However, we must quickly reach out to those AFM members who are coping with
this tragedy. At this point, we cannot ascertain the status of these
musicians. But we must expect the worst and act accordingly.

In an effort to help our brothers and sisters in their time of need, the
International Executive Board has authorized the creation of the Gulf Coast
Relief Fund to distribute contributions to hurricane victims. The IEB has
authorized the AFM to match contributions dollar for dollar up to $100,000.
For example, if the AFM receives a contribution of $10, it will match that
contribution and $20 will be donated to the Fund.

The AFM will continue to match donations until it has contributed a total of
$100,000. I am requesting that you make a donation to this fund in whatever
amount you can afford.

Please note that the Fund is applying for non-profit status, which we
believe will be granted by the government in the near future.

Please send all contributions to the AFM, 1501 Broadway, Suite 600, New
York, NY 10036. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Gulf
Coast Relief Fund.

It is times like these that test a union's strength and I am confident that
we will not fail our brothers and sisters.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Thomas F. Lee

President, AFM

======================================
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR CONTACTS LISTS
======================================
Additional details located at: http://www.afm.org/public/press/090805.php

Paul Sharpe
Director, Freelance Services Division
American Federation of Musicians
of the United States and Canada
Phone: 416-391-5161
Toll-Free: 1-800-463-6333
Fax: 416-391-5165
Cell: 416-414-9264
www.afm.org
www.gopromusic.com

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make
Yahoo! your home page
</FONT><A
HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/XDfwlB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

If you "Reply" to this e-mail, your message will be sent to all members of
the OCSM List as a continuation of this topic.

You may start a new topic by sending a message to: ocsm-list at yahoogroups.com

Subscribe a different e-mail address to the OCSM List by sending a message
to: ocsm-list-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Questions about the OCSM List? E-mail the list moderator, Ken MacDonald, at
ocsm-list-owner at yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links