[Dixielandjazz] Real Jazz Haiku--and more

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Sep 9 08:44:00 PDT 2005

"Jazz from the Haiku King" by James A. Emanuel (Broadside Press, 1999) is a collection of haiku, some of which are translated into, or from, French and other languages. "Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet,Jelly Roll Morton,Billie Holiday, and Duke Ellington are some of the jazz stars "haikued.'
Another short poetic form is the "Clerihew". This was invented by an English author, Edmund Clerihew Bentley--hence its name . It is "usually biographical in nature and consists of two rhyming couplets, with no restrictions concerning the length of the lines." As I have never seen a jazz example in print I had to do it myself!

Sammy Kaye had
A band that could sway.
But Goodman-style swing
Wasn't his thing.

When Louis played
"Sweethearts on Parade".
Lombardos Guy and Carmen
Muttered "Charmin".

More efforts would be welcome with the goal of perhaps publishing a collection of this novelty on the web.
Cheers
Fred