[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Records artists-- where are they now?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Sep 9 07:07:49 PDT 2005

Here's a posting from the Basin Street Records giving location of their
New Orleans artists.

Also, Mike Gourrier ( Mr. Jazz of New Orleans) jazz announcer for WWOZ
and the program director for recent Satchmo Summerfest writes that he is
in Houston and will be working and living there for the time being.

ANOTHER PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM MARK SAMUELS, PRESIDENT, BASIN STREET
RECORDS
Many of you have contacted us and many of you have posted your messages
on the "forums" on our website. Thank you for your well wishes.

My brother, Will, my parents, and my three children and I are now in
Austin, Texas for the school year. Basin Street Records will continue to
operate from here.

GREAT NEWS: Hal Braden, our creative director, was rescued along with
his family, girlfriend and more from his parents' house in New Orleans
and we heard from him a few days ago. He is now in Destin, Florida.

As far as the rest of our staff, Jeremy Schachner is safe in
Connecticut, Emily Fransen is in Houston, and Jack Hopke is in Atlanta.

We are also happy to know that Suzette Becker, our attorney, is safe in
Florida, and that Diana Thornton of Crescent Music Services is safe in
Texas (we heard from her today). Diana coordinates our manufacturing.

ARTIST UPDATES: Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers: Kermit
Ruffins, Kevin Morris, Derrick Freeman and Corey Henry should all be in
Houston shortly and plan to operate from there

Irvin Mayfield, Ronald Markham(NOJO's CEO), and Theresa Andersson are
all safe in Baton Rouge.

Bill Summers is safe in Atlanta. Michael White is safe in Houston. Jon
Cleary is safe in California preparing for a tour with Bonnie Raitt.
Henry Butler is safe in Monroe. And last I heard, Jason Marsalis is safe
in Japan recording with Marcus Roberts.

>From Los Hombres Calientes, Victor Atkins is in Birmingham and Leon
Brown, Steve Walker and David Pulphus are safe in Atlanta. Jamal Batiste
is safe in Baton Rouge.

MISSING: We have not heard yet from the following people: Emile Vinet
(Kermit's pianist) and Irvin Mayfield's father and brother;

We hope we have homes and businesses to return to and that we can return
soon to help rebuild the greatest city that I know: New Orleans.

Please use our message board at

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=emd9sobab.0.jefoihbab.amvcdhbab.2059&p=http%3A%
2F%2Fwww.BasinStreetRecords.com> www. BasinStreetRecords.com to send
your well wishes to our artists and let them know how they are loved. We
can really use your love and support right now. We also invite you to
use the forum to keep others informed of New Orleans musicians in the
diaspora.

MAKE IT FUNKY! ALSO, If you are in NYC or Los Angeles PLEASE GO SEE Make
it Funky! a few times this weekend for an amazing view of why New
Orleans is great. The movie includes BSR artists' Jon Cleary, Irvin
Mayfield and Kermit Ruffins. It also includes the Neville Brothers,
Allen Toussaint, Bonnie Raitt, Keith Richards, Earl Palmer, Walter
Wolfman Washington and many many more. If successful on the coasts, then
the rest of the country can see it in theaters too.

The DVD comes out on September 27th. The movie premieres in NYC and Los
Angeles on September 9th. VIEW THE TRAILER and more:
http://www.sonypictures.com/makeitfunky/flash/
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=emd9sobab.0.poswtobab.amvcdhbab.2059&p=http%3A%
2F%2Fwww.sonypictures.com%2Fmakeitfunky%2Fflash%2F>

Norman-we got slammed by Ivan, but Katrina just grazed us in
Pensacola--Vickers