[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 33, Issue 19

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 20:27:46 PDT 2005

"luis daniel flores" <luda at arnet.com.ar> asked

 > WHere it was L. Armstrong House???!!

Hi Luis:

If memory serves me right tonight, the house at the time of his birth was
723 Jane Alley. (Corner of Perdido) Then, after his father and mother split
up, Mom moved to a shanty on Perdido Street and Liberty Streets. Louis and
sister stayed with Grandma. I am not sure where that house was, but Mom was
living in a run down area amongst the bottom of the rung hookers.

The City of New Orleans tore that 723 Jane Alley house down about around
1965 if memory serves me right. Why? Who the hell can figure that out?

The house I referred to in my post, was his last house in the Corona Section
of New York City. (near LaGuardia Airport in Queens) It is now a museum. He
lived here with his 4th wife, Lucille. 34-56 107th Street, Corona.

It is just a mile or two from where I grew up in neighboring Flushing NY.
Corona was originally an Italian section and my immigrant father had many
friends there. We visited the area all the time when I was a kid. It became
integrated after World War 2 and many black jazz musicians, e.g. Armstrong,
Dizzy Gillespie, et al, moved there. Between the Italians and the Blacks,
there was music and dancing everywhere.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone