[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [ropa] Announcement from AFM President Lee

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 19:09:40 PDT 2005

  .

I thought you would like to know that the Musicians Union/ American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada is planning assistence for all of the musicians that were devistated by Katrina. I will keep the list informed concerning this effort.

Dave Hanson

Atlanta

                        Announcement from President Thomas Lee on Katrina Assistance

                  Dear AFM Officers and Members:

                  We have received numerous emails and phone calls regarding the recent devastation inflicted by hurricane Katrina on the people living on the Gulf Coast .  Some of those inquiring are offering places for displaced musicians to live.  Others are asking how they or the AFM may provide some assistance to the victims.  There is a potential of up to 1000 AFM musicians living or working in the affected areas that may be experiencing some state of distress.  We are concerned for those who may have lost loved ones, homes, automobiles, musical instruments and other personal items and the AFM plans on providing some assistance.

                  A few days ago the members of the International Executive Board authorized the creation of a relief fund in order to help musicians who have suffered as a result of the havoc created by Katrina.  While not yet complete, the details and procedures regarding the Fund should be finalized shortly after the holiday weekend.   That information will then be widely distributed to AFM members.

                  Please begin to think of ways that your local and members may be able to raise funds to help our brothers and sisters who are victims of this terrible tragedy.

                  Sincerely,

                  Thomas F. Lee

                  President, AFM

Nathan Kahn, Negotiator
Symphonic Services Division
American Federation of Musicians
Administrator-AFM Symphony Audition Complaint Hotline
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Office: 719-520-3288
Cell: 719-337-3652