[Dixielandjazz] Harry Epp RIP

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Wed Sep 7 11:25:17 PDT 2005

Dear Friends . . .
I am shocked and saddened to have to report that pianist/banjoist Harry
Epp has died. I had the news from Hal Donovan, who had called Harry this
morning to try to find out how Pat Cooke was (surviving) and got his
son, Rich, instead. I talked to Rob, the eldest son, who said that they
were waiting for the medical examiner but that it was apparently a heart
attack - Harry had had a bad one several years ago - and when I talked
with him last night he said he was worn out from his trip to LA for the
Sweet and Hot even as he raved about the music he'd heard and the
friends he'd connected with there.

Harry was one of my closest friends, and the regular pianist in my River
Liffey Saloon Jazz Band and Roaring Tusker Jazz Band. Through the years
he also worked with Bill Thomas's Bourbon Street Jazz Band, with Sandy
Sander and Frank Izzo, Frank Hubbell and the Riverside Jazz Band. I was
privileged to produce two albums of Harry's Muskat Ramblers, which began
life in Columbus, Ohio in the early '50s. His eldest son, Rob, asked me
to take care of the musical arrangements. I will do this, and will keep
you all advised as the funeral  arrangements are made.

You can't imagine how I feel right now.

Will Connelly