[Dixielandjazz] Union Fodder to change the subject

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 6 17:05:25 PDT 2005

Tom said:

> Hi Folks:
>
> Here is a post I pulled from another list from an executive of the
> Local San francisco Musicians Union:
>
> Shows just how out of touch they are with Reality about the Music
> business.

LW- Unfortunately the union here ignores a lot of business opportunities but
in all fairness they are so far down that I think that they will never get
up.

> These are the same cats that solicited those Garage Bands into joining
> the union just get the initiation fees and then threw them to the
> wolves.

LW - the problem is that these guys really have limited repitore.  Some can
do a 4 hour job but most can't.  You 100% are right about this.  The kids
today just don't have a clue as to what the music business is all about.
They see the guys making millions (or even just working) and they don't see
all the steps in between.  This is true no matter what type of music they
are trying to get in.  Go into any guitar shop -- they are selling this
stuff to someone.  The unions no longer care if you can play or not.  I'm
not aware of any musical requirements.  Just put your money on the table kid
and don't bother me.

It should be noted also that his comments about the
> Hotels, and the unions actions with them resulted in there Being NO
> Live Music at those Fine hotels any more, except that which is brought
> in by outside private events.

LW - In all fairness Tom the hotel owner and bar owner isn't in the music
business.  He is in the making money business and if bands can't draw crowds
so that he can make more money than without he simply will do without or
hire the wannabees for beers.

> Now they tell the young garage bands to HAVE BALLS,  ROTFLOL

LW - As PT barnum is supposed to have said "Theres a sucker born every
minute"

> They showed the Hotels their Balls years ago and the Hotels showed them
> and all the musicians on the payroll the back door and locked it behind
> them.
>
> The garage bands they are now giving advise to mostly don't even have
> 45 minutes worth of material to play, which is why the clubs have to
> bring in four  or five bands a night just to get four  hours of
> business, and many of the band run more people out than they bring in.
>
> You flash a union card in one of them today and they will have TINY the
> door man throw you out.
>
> Many of these clubs have more bands and musicians in the joint than
> they do customers, so how the hell are they going to pay some nobody
> musicians $1,000.00  not to mention that if they do get a crowd, they
> don't show up until 11;)0 or 12:00 p.m.
> and they must shut down the bar at 1:30.   Since the musicians usually
> get Free drinks and most of the people in the house are musicians and
> their non cover charge paying friends on the GUEST LIST, also getting
> free drinks slipped to them by the band members.  No wonder there are
> no places for them to play.

LW - unfortunately this is so true.  I personally just don't do clubs
anymore.  The sad thing is that these guys think that they are really going
somewhere or that someone will "discover" them.   They last for awhile
untill the wife or girlfriend starts to whine about all the time they are
spending or the band falls apart or they get jerked off a few times by bar
owner.  By that time they grow up, hang up the guitar or drum sticks and in
some cases their union cards.  Rest in Peace. They just got screwed by the
music biz.

> Yep those musicians are indeed the real reason those folks came, to
> hear and amuse themselves because they are in a Band and get free
> drinks.  :))

LW - Or not