[Dixielandjazz] Shave and a haircut - What the razor bladecompanies don't want you to know.

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 6 05:05:56 PDT 2005

How many of you guys still use shaving cream before go to the gig and take
blade to cheek and shave off the offending whiskers?>>

Hi Bill,
Yup, me. But none of that fancy aerosol stuff. A bowl of shaving soap and a
nice badger bristle brush is tops. I have upgraded to a double bladed safety
razor, although while I was in the army I used a thing called a Rolls Razor.
This came in an engraved tin, about 7"x3"x1" with a built in strop. They are
occasionally found these days in bric a brac sales and museums..
Shaving is about more than just cutting off the bristles. Just as fishing is
about more than catching fish.
It is the ritual. The hot water. The sensuous working up of the lather on
your bristly chin and the satisfaction of that first  stroke, cleanly
removing bristles and leaving the clean skin showing through the lather.
Rather like a snow plough track through a  freshly fallen snowfield.
The patting dry with a warm towel. The astringent burn of the  aftershave
lotion, if you go in for poncy things like mens scent.
Sublime!

Incidentally as we never had `six bits` in the UK  we didn`t have the rest
of the line either.
We did have
Dah di di dah dah. Alright!
Dah di di Dah Dah. Sat`day night!

What the Dah di di Dah Dah represented, I have no idea.

Cheers

Pat