[Dixielandjazz] Pronunciation of "Biloxi"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 5 18:33:11 PDT 2005

Dick,
When I was in the US Navy in Pensacola back in the 50's
we stopped in to Bil-UX- I for buckets of shrimp on our way to
New Orleans. What you're hearing on TV is correct pronunciation as far
as the locals are concerned.
If you think that is weird,  try the river that divides Maine from New Hampshire.
Spelled Piscataqua it is pronounced locally as Pis-cat-uh-kway - accent on syllables 2 and 4
not to be confused with
Chatauqua in New York State which is pronounced Shuh-tawk-wah - accent on 2nd syllable.

And only the British and local New Englanders know how to pronounce
Leicester, Worcester, Haverhill and Hingham in Massachusetts.
(but Framingham (Frame-ing-ham) Mass.  is the exception to even that set.)
Craig Johnson
The Maine Street Paraders