[Dixielandjazz] more on royalties

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Sep 2 14:29:35 PDT 2005

Just out of interest, since there seems to be quite a demeaning manner on
DJML towards the collection agencies that handle musician's royalties:

Our recorded music forms 6.35% of the running time of this particular play
that is on now in the theaters.  That means that each one of the "authors"
(we're 5 in the band & it was a joint effort) gets 1.27% of each ticket
sold.  Money with a capital M would be if the show runs for years,
naturally.

We have as much info about the band on the theater program as the actual
play got!  And, our name in huge signs hanging on the front of the
theater...just like your man who wrote the "Phantom of the Opera", etc.  Not
a bad thing, if you ask me.

The Sociedad General de Autores y Editores (SGAE) takes about 15% of that
for having chased the money.  Then the gov't taxes another 15%, so there's
not a lot left.  This was the first payment we received, and two of our guys
who weren't already members & had to join the SGAE because of this at least
got the admission money back with the first payment!   :>

Since I don't try to make a living out of this sort of thing, the money that
comes in is "just nice, thank you".  I'm still collecting royalties for tv
ads I wrote & produced in the 1970's in Spain.  Very little money, but it
all adds up.

As I said before....

Jim (not complaining) Kash