[Dixielandjazz] FW: Kurt Weill Prize - Honorable mention

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 29 23:31:21 PDT 2005

Dear friends,
The following from my friend, Bill Egan, is self-explanatory.
Bloody good news too, as we Aussies are wont to say.
Those of you who have read this wonderful biography of Florence Mills
(1896-1927) will understand immediately why it has won an
Œaward¹.
For those who haven¹t yet seen it, please seek it out.
Not a coffee table book or a cobbled together PhD thesis, but a scholarly
and highly readable work based on years' of original and personal research
worldwide.
A highly recommended account a great artist, mourned by her peers and the
20s jazz world but, unfortunately, never recorded.
If you want more information about the book just Google >Florence Mills<. It
is the first 'hit'.
If I sound enthusiastic about Bill¹s honorable mention, it is because I am.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Subject: Kurt Weill Prize - Honorable mention

I thought you might be interested to know the following news I recently
received:
My book Florence Mills: Harlem Jazz Queen has been singled out for
"Honorable Mention" by the panel for the international award The Kurt Weill
Prize 2005, awarded biennially for "distinguished scholarship on
twentieth-century musical theater" by the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music
The citation for 2005 can be seen at:
  http://www.kwf.org/pages/kwp/award05.html
and reads: 2005 Awards
The 2005 Kurt Weill Prize has been awarded to Andrea Most of the University
of  Toronto for her book, Making Americans: Jews and the Broadway Musical
(Harvard University Press, 2004). In an examination of Broadway theater in
the period 1925 to 1951, from The Jazz Singer to The King and I, Most
maintains that the process of Jewish acculturation in America and the
development of the Broadway musical are inextricably joined. Most receives a
prize award of $2500.
Also singled out by the prize panel for honorable mention in the book
category was Bill Egan, for his book Florence Mills: Harlem Jazz Queen
(Scarecrow Press, 2004), a biography of a remarkable African-American
entertainer of the 1920s.
The Kurt Weill Prize is awarded biennially for distinguished scholarship on
twentieth-century musical theater. The four-member selection panel consists
of representatives from the Modern Language Association, the American
Musicological Society, the American Society for Theatre Research, and the
Kurt Weill Foundation for Music.