[Dixielandjazz] gig programming

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Oct 24 08:54:13 PDT 2005

I'm sure that everyone has a different idea on how to program dinner
music but I usually do a lot of Latins particularly bossas but anything
smooth is OK. Think elevator music.  Definately hot jazz solos are out
but that doesn't mean that you can't play jazz at all but just keep it
within reason.  I did a CC last year for about 7 weeks with a duo and it
was extremely background.  I finally told the room manager where the
volume control on the amp was so he could adjust it and I never heard
another word out of him.  I think he just wanted to have control.
Dinner music doesn't have to be boring.

One guy I work for does a lot of vocals for din din but I don't think
that's good.  Lyrics are for listening but dinner is for conversation
and your listeners can't do both.
Larry walton
St. Louis