[Dixielandjazz] FW: Chris Taperell

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Oct 22 16:52:56 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>This has just come through.
>I¹m stunned!
>Chris was the long-time pianist with the Bob Barnard Band, one of the
>world's best jazz musicians and a wonderful friend to all who knew him.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.
>

>    I am devastated to inform you that Julian came to see me last night to
>say that his brother Chris had suffered a sudden haemorrage at home
>yesterday and died some time later in hospital. Our thoughts go to his wife
>Gwen and the family.
>Rod Gale Secretary
>CCLC Jazzleague

I am also deeply saddened by this news -- I trust you referred to Chris
Tapperell. He was one f the finest stride players I ever had the great
good furtune to know and hear and even play a bit with. (Somewhere I
have a tape with Bob's band when I sat in with them on a Michigan
date.). Not as well known on this side of the drink was that Chris was a
marvelous tenor sax man with a good deal of Eddie Miller leanings though
clearly his own stylist. Please relay Jean and my deepest regrets to his
family. The jazz world has lost a good one -- and all too many of them
as of late. Chris was a standout in my mind and a model of survivor in
his past health problems. In later years he spole even more in his music.
Thanks for passing this sad news on. Jean and I will tip a wee dram
toward the Oz and say a little prayer to a friend gone too soon.
Don Ingle