[Dixielandjazz] Art & Entertainment (was Bart)

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Oct 22 09:05:14 PDT 2005

Larry Walton wrote:
For some reason musicians tend to think that they can play music that is
blowing over their customers heads. I think I said in a post some time ago
that musicians need to play to their audience.

I've edited your remarks above, Larry, to support my letter.  If we look at
my Subject line, it is funny how most people "in the arts" would prefer that
to be written Art vs. Entertainment.  It seems to be believed that the two
can't got together.  I'm a firm believer that that is a very wrong belief.

First & foremost is showing that you are capable in your art form.  After
that, if you wish to have/maintain an audience, some sort of entertainment
is required.  That's because a tiny bit of your audience may be enough in
the know to appreciate your talent, but the majority are not so schooled.

I have actually been called a clown on occassions 'cause I sometimes do
funny things with my trombone.  If one were to look at the exquisite talent
that is required of a good circus clown to do the things they do on the
tight rope, the horse/elephant back, the high level swings, one would see
that calling someone a clown is really a compliment!

If you can make people enjoy themselves & still perform your art at a high
level, then it seems to me you have the best of both worlds.  How to
recognize that person?

He/she will be the one working all the time......

Jim