[Dixielandjazz] Bart

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Oct 22 07:45:30 PDT 2005

As someone said Sacred cows make the best burgers.  The Simpson's of
course pokes holes in our balloons all the time but in this case it is
true observation of what many people think about jazz.

Jazz, of course, by it's very nature pushed against the boundaries of
music and society but in this it sewed seeds of it's own destruction by
becoming something only a dedicated purist would listen to.  The
complexities of the music passed a public that just couldn't handle it.
A case in point is C&W.  The words and music are still relatively simple
dealing with the everyday persons problems and wants.  Rap even carries
this to another extreme.

For some reason musicians tend to think that they can play music that is
blowing over their customers heads, that they will get rich doing it and
that they will like it.  The wonder of it all is that these guys are
then mystified when they lose their public.

The Simpson's either right or wrong points up the fact that jazz
musicians haven't cultivated or educated the vast majority of the
public.  I think I said in a post some time ago that musicians need to
play to their audience.  It's the old line from Mary Poppins. A little
bit of sugar makes the medicine go down.

Larry Walton
St. Louis