[Dixielandjazz] Tempo markings

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 22 01:13:56 PDT 2005

Eric;

You have indeed opened a can of worms regarding the tempo of the times.

My experience as a listener is that while the recorded tempo is often
considered the "standard" for a tune, it is not always the same as how the
band will play a tune in front of the public. Furthermore, musicians who
have recorded a work several times will do it at a faster or slower tempo
than their first recording. This is true for classical music as well as
jazz.

What's important is whether or not the players are comfortable with the
tempo which at which a tune is played. Glenn Miller's version of "Take The
'A' Train" was recorded at a dreamy dance tempo and, for my money, it worked
quite well. Offhand, I can't recall who the arranger was.

Speaking of Lu Watters, there are 2 cuts each of "Big Bear Stomp", "Emperor
Norton's Hunch", "Annie Street Rock" and several others of his compositions
on the Good Time Jazz compilation of the complete Yerba Buena Jazz Band
recordings. If I have time later, I'll listen and let you know if Lu held
the tempii on both cuts of the same tune. Perhaps others who've heard Lu's
band will chime in with their recollections.

Good night;

Stan
Stan Brager