[Dixielandjazz] Wonder what is wrong with music in Schools to day ?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 21 08:56:59 PDT 2005

As some of you know I teach band part time along with two other band
directors in a private school run by a major denomination here in  St.
Louis.  For the size of the school we have a large band program.  65
kids in A band and 30 in B band.  Not bad for a school of not quite 600
kids.

This is how one kid can ruin a session for everyone.  During my
rehearsal the kids were generally talking a bit but could be quited down
but several times when I would be talking to  the group there was one
kid in the back on Bari sax who continued playing.  I asked him to stop
and went on.  Unfortunately so did he.  I asked him to please practice
at home and not on our time.  He then argued that the bari was too big
to carry home.  (I played bari in Jr. High and took it on the bus but
that was the good old days).   He started playing again.  I told him if
one more note came out of that horn He was going to the Principals
office.  He said he wouldn't go.  I told him that I would start getting
pretty crude because he didn't seem to understand me.  Again he said
no.  I told him in no un certain words to shut up again he said No.  I
told him to go to the office.  Again he said no so I brought the office
to him and he was escorted out of the class.  Personally, I think I gave
him too many warnings but this was out of the blue with no reason.  The
truth is that he will be back in band faster than I will.

Contrast this with an honor band that I am working with.  The rehearsals
go without a peep coming out of the kids.  A lot of adult bands can't do
that.  The difference is that in the first case the kids sign up for
band for a credit and a place to talk with their friends there is no
place to send them if they aren't in band that hour and the second is
that the kids will be asked to leave instantly if they don't behave.

Guess which band plays better?

Money talks,  the school wants that kids $7000 tuition so they don't
want to make the parents unhappy so he will get to continue being in
band and I'm sure that I haven't heard the last out of him.  He will
come back to class with a swagger showing me and the others that he got
away with it.   This is at a college prep school no less.

I can't wait to see what happens next week.
Larry Walton
St. Louis