[Dixielandjazz] Preaching

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 20:47:33 PDT 2005

Dear List Mates

Just a quick recap with some results of Preaching about young audiences.
(Speaking for myself, as I do not presume to speak for anyone else on the
DJML.) DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED

So far I have sent 27 copies of "Getting The Young Audience" to DJML list
mates in the US who requested them, and a couple or three overseas.

I am also currently corresponding via e-mail with movers and shakers of 7
different US OKOM Festivals, and the publisher of one national Jazz
Newspaper all of whom seek information and ideas about attracting younger
audiences and/or presenting jazz programs for school kids.

I preach playing where the kids are, because I care about getting the music
to the next generation or two, or three. Not because I seek gigs via DJML or
Festival contacts. I have more than I can handle now within 80 miles of my
house and the 500 or so people on the DJML or the few people at OKOM
Festivals are not my targeted music audience. The locals of all ages are.

And, no doubt there are those list mates who could care less. That's fine.
But please, those who don't care, do not try and tell me via factless
opinion, that "no one" on the DJML is interested in getting this music to
the kids. I know differently from interactive experience with those who,
unlike you, are quite interested.

I like to remember my artist buddy who had a sign above the door to his
studio. (Directed at individuals, not the total audience.) It said something
like:

All ye who enter here - Regarding my work:
Spare me your accolades and
Spare me your criticism.
Neither are meaningful to me.
For I know what I am doing,
And I am not doing it specifically for you.

In other words, why not use your delete key when you see a post that doesn't
apply to you. Or if you must, send the writer some hate mail so he/she can
exercise their delete key finger, and/or exercise their brains in answering,
OFF LIST, of course. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve