[Dixielandjazz] Maynard Ferguson at Schools

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 05:54:39 PDT 2005

 Dave Hanson <jazzdude39 at comcast.net> wrote
 about Barbone's asking about Maynard's High School Gigs.

> Steve,
>
> That's an easy one.....his agent knows the band will be in town, or
> close to it
> anyway, and offers a deal they can't refuse. We used to call it block
> booking !
>
> Maybe contact one of the schools and find out who booked them !
>
> I'm surprised you would even ask !

Ha, Ha, I must admit to an ulterior motive in asking the question. Some
folks on the DJML seem to think it is impossible to get jazz to High Schools
and Colleges. And when I "preach" about getting jazz to young people, they
rant and rave that I do not live in the real world. Maynard Ferguson, along
with other working musicians in the real world, proves otherwise.

In looking at his full schedule, it appears that the majority of his gigs
are at schools.

Golly gee, if an overweight, antique trumpet player can do it, how about you
young lions going out there and doing it? :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve