[Dixielandjazz] Doc Severinsen

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Sun Oct 16 10:27:03 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/16/2005 5:58:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
starwaterlogo at mpinet.net writes:

On his  "Rhapsody For Now" album, he
hits what has to be one of the prettiest  extreme high notes of all time.
Jumps up on an Eb over double C on the very  last note of an adaptation of
the old Carpenter's hit "A Song For You". Not  at all screechy but rather,
very violin-like. In fact, if I had to pick one  recording by Doc to
demonstrate his playing, that would probably be it.  Goes from low, mellow
and melodic to the  stratoshphere.

I couldn't agree more.  When I was teaching trumpet privately, the  "Rhapsody
for Now" LP was required listening.  I think it is probably the  best example
of modern trumpet playing to this day.  Everything from  melodic playing to
technical ability to extreme control in every range of the  instrument.  I
think that only Allen Vizutti could pull that type of  playing off today.

Some of that album is on a compilation CD called "Good Medicine", which  also
has an unbelievable arrangement of "Love Story" and a neat tune by Don
Sebesky titled "Brass Roots."  Both are amongst my favorites.

Lewis D.  Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC, CASL