[Dixielandjazz] Natural Gas JB in Dresden

pcrums pcrums at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:02:55 PDT 2005

>>>Jim Kashishian said recently, ">500,000 people at a Dixieland Festival.
Wow!!!!!!

I suspect that might be a bit of advert hoopla. At one point in the
festival they drive the bands through the streets in horse drawn carriages
(a bit of a drag for a band that uses piano!) and I daresay most of the town
is in the streets during the parade which may account for the large number
quote.<<<

Yes, Jim, I agree with you about the hoopla. When Natural Gas Jazz Band
played the four day Dresden Festival in 2002, it was part of a tour which
included Prague, Vienna, and Budapest (listmate Tamas did a gig with us
there). In Dresden we did see a large number of people but the vast majority
was during the three hour parade and another day when venues were set up on
stages on a busy mall. In venues that charged admission, the largest crowd
we saw was probably under 2,000.

The outstanding impression that I remember of the Dresden Dixieland Festival
experience was the large percentage of younger people attending the events -
sure wish we had that here in this country. See our website archives for
complete story: www.ngjb.com <http://www.ngjb.com>

Is this a great list, or what?
Phil Crumley
Natural Gas Jazz Band