[Dixielandjazz] An Al and Maynard story

Robert Pulliam starwaterlogo at mpinet.net
Sat Oct 15 20:00:54 PDT 2005

> As the
> conversation naturally progressed to Maynard's phenomenal  range, this is
exactly what
> Al Hirt said to me: "One day, I couldn't stand  it anymore and I looked at
> Maynard and said...Maynard how the #$&* do you hit all those high notes
anyway?"
> And,  do you know what he said to me? Maynard looks  at me and says...I
have
> no  idea, they just come out."

Excellent story. As for the range thing, I've found that many trumpet
players, including well known players, don't really have a strong grasp of
the mechanics of what they're doing. As far as high noting, some just happen
to fall into it easily, some work at it and over time get it and some never
do.

Maynard in particular, has a somewhat odd embouchure. I don't think I've
ever seen someone with an embouchure quite like his. He's struggling these
days, but in his youth he was truly a wonder.

Of course, in Dixie, being a screaming high noter isn't regarded as a
particularly important skill. If you've got a decent high C under your belt,
you could play tasty stuff 'til the cows come home.