[Dixielandjazz] An Al and Maynard story

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 17:32:18 PDT 2005

Growing up, I listened to all of the trumpet greats.  But, the three  that I
most admired were Doc Severinsen, Maynard Ferguson and Al Hirt.  To  me, these
were the best trumpeters ever.

Fast forward to the early eighties.  Al Hirt was in town at the  Tralfamadore
Cafe (in Buffalo, NY).  My wife and I were seated right  smack dab in the
middle, front table unobstructed.  I watched in  amazement as one of my trumpet
idles played a quartet jazz gig.  What  was billed as a Dixieland concert,
turned out to be Al with a piano,  bass and drum trio.  What a great show.  He
played with  passion and technique, all in a great traditional jazz style.

During the show, I looked at the stage to discover that there were no  doors
separating the audience from the performers.  It was only a matter of  time
before I decided to get back there after the show.  One way or  another, I was
determined to meet my idol!  And, that is exactly what I  did.  I simply snuck
back stage, made a sharp turn and almost  ran right into Al Hirt...literally.

I introduced myself to him and he was very gracious.  We spoke about  many
things, mainly shop talk.  That is when he mentioned that he had  played in the
Dorsey band; sitting next to Maynard Ferguson for a  while.  As the
conversation naturally progressed to Maynard's phenomenal  range, this is exactly what
Al Hirt said to me: "One day, I couldn't stand  it anymore and I looked at
Maynard and said...Maynard how the #$&* do you hit all those high notes anyway?"
And,  do you know what he said to me? Maynard looks  at me and says...I have
no  idea, they just come out."   With that, we both laughed.  I  thanked the
big guy for talking with me, and he genuinely assured me that it was  no
problem, as he enjoyed our visit.

That is the one and only time that I would have the opportunity to  talk with
Al Hirt.  However, in that one conversation, I can tell  you that I found him
genuine, gregarious, and a true professional.  It is  refreshing to finally
see him spoken about with such reverence in this  list.

Lewis D.  Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC, CASL