[Dixielandjazz] The Dresden Dixieland Festival - World's Largest?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 14 18:33:57 PDT 2005

Surfing the net on my night off, I just came up with some interesting
information about what must be the LARGEST DIXIELAND JAZZ FESTIVAL IN THE
WORLD. O(based upon audience)

According to the organizers, the May 2005 "DIXIELAND" Festival drew . . .
500,000 people. WOW. That is about the total population of the city.

The 2006 Festival is from May 6 to May 14, Dresden, Germany, Jazz ALL DAY
for a week. 33 bands so far, yet none, it seems, from the USA. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

If the information is correct, that attendance number is a stunner. They
must be doing something right, that we could adapt.

I am totally ignorant of this festival. Can list mates fill in the blanks
for me, and possibly for North American Festival Organizers who are
experiencing attendance problems?

One cute thing I did notice is that they apparently make it a family event.
Every morning, starting at 9:30 AM, the first jazz program is: JAZZ Fur
Kinder, The ABC's of Dixieland. Do you suppose they get the local schools to
attend for an hour or so in the name of music appreciation?

500,000 people at a Dixieland Festival. Wow!!!!!!

For a good time, google surf Dresden Dixieland.

Cheers,
Steve