[Dixielandjazz] Finale import solution?

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Thu Oct 13 23:44:40 PDT 2005

Don Mopsick said :

"Finale is very good at recognizing MIDI files. In fact, one of the
recommended ways of transferring Finale files from Mac to PC and back
again is to first save as MIDI. There is also the format ETF (Enigma
Transportable File) which I think Encore might have available also."

Encore provides three file "Save As" options - Encore (.enc), MIDI (.mid)
and Master Tracks Pro (.mts) but no ETF. I don't know about Finale but
importing a MIDI file into Encore does have its problems - the music will
usually play back quite acceptably, but because the program "guesses" note
values and intervals the score it produces will require a huge amount of
editing in order to produce a readable copy. I suspect that the same thing
might also be true of Finale.

It was for this reason that I stopped using a MIDI keyboard to create MIDI
files in Encore and now drag-and-drop all the notes separately - it sounds
like a laborious process but, believe me, it's quicker!. The difficulty with
using a keyboard for inputting is that if the performer's playing tempo does
not adhere precisely to the the program's metronome setting the score goes
haywire.

John Farrell