[Dixielandjazz] Re: "South"

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 13 22:18:51 PDT 2005

Though anticlimactical after The Great Haesler's reply (and O! so
awaited!), I remember adjusting my US historical framework by the
following words from Ted Shafer's liner notes from his LP "Turk Murphy's
Jazz Band: San Francisco Jazz," MMRC-114:

"South: A jazz favorite popularized in the Nineteen Forties by the
constant radio play of Benny Moten's September 7, 1928, recording of
that piece."

Can any US'ian recall said constant radio play?  I just know that when I
want to wow someone unfamiliar with OKOM, Moten's famous recording is
one of the ones to start with!,
--
Etc,

Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
Special Assistant to the Presiding Archbishop
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
www.naorc.org