[Dixielandjazz] Switch from Encore to Finale? An admonition

Charlie Hull charlie_hull at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 12:19:45 PDT 2005

Wanting to save my extensive library of fakesheets created with Encore, but wanting some additional features, I purchase Finale primarily because the listed features included ability to import Encore files. What a disappointment. It sorta imports files created with older versions of Encore, but not those made with the current XP version. With those it does import, everything is skewed and improperly located, and only the primary notes, chord symbols and lyrics are imported, but nothing beyond that, not even repeats and other parts of the score. Learning that, and facing a very steep learning curve, I shelved Finale and have continued to use Encore.

On the downside of Encore, there's little or nothing in the way of technical support. I've sent e-mails regarding fixes for the lack of interchangability of files between old and new versions, and also following up on recommendation I had sent in twice. No response whatsoever. It's my opionion that G-vox is a very small, maybe even one-person operation which sells software it didn't invent and is unable to provide real technical support. If anyone has experience to the contrary I'd like to know about it.

I've been interested in Sibelius, but it's too pricey for me.

I have versions of Finale thru 2004 which I'll sell quite cheaply.

Charlie Hull