[Dixielandjazz] Semitism and jazz

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 5 05:22:12 PDT 2005

Hello Luis

At 08:16 5/10/05 -0300, luis daniel flores wrote (in part):
>I just was waiting for this query !. And here is my answer  ....<

This is certainly a BIG subject and I was a little taken-aback by its
turning up so clinically (pun intended) on DJML.

The whole matter of Middle Eastern influence on jazz is fascinating and, I
think, is best approached from the geographic and linguistic perspective.
Ie, it's "Semitic", rather than "Jewish" or "Arabic". Kletzmer is a simple
example.

An interesting line of thought is the "Moorish" influence on jazz. The
popular idea of Africa being divided by the Sahara is simplistic and it's
likely that the west coast and savannah African slaves brought to the
Americas not only semitic influences, but also Spanish ones. What a
cultural mixing pot the West Indies and South America must have been in the
17th and 18th centuries.

All the best
Anton