[Dixielandjazz] Lack of paying gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 14:20:26 PDT 2005

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote (polite snip) - about the lack of paying gigs

> The only people that are truly Non profit here folks is many of US,
> everyone else is making a good living off of US but only because we
> have allowed it to happen.

Amen Tom. There are bands and musicians all over the USA that manage to get
paying gigs. But many on the DJML seem not to be able to do so.

Examples of OKOM bands that put my schedule to shame are those like:

Linda Ipanema and her Dixiecats in the NYC area. She plays a full Dixieland
schedule of public park events, retirement homes, nightclubs, parties and
numerous other social events. Google search <Linda Ipanema + Dixiecats> She
is a professional, she gets paid well.

Or:

The Barbary Coast Jazz Band in Minnesota. They travel nationwide and besides
OKOM festivals like Suncoast, play Churches, Elementary, High Schools and
Colleges in numerous states. Check their schedule, especially Jan 2006 at:
http://www.barbary-coast.com/schedule.html

Many more around the USA manage to find a paying audience for OKOM in all
sorts of venues other than OKOM Festivals. Those venues are the real world
of professional musicians.

To often, we cop out and say that venues such as these two bands (and mine)
are playing can't pay, or the sudience there does not like OKOM. That
viewpoint is just plain wrong. I used to say that schools were not viable as
a paying venue until I spoke with legendary drummer Johnny Blowers about 10
years ago. He corrected me and showed me his then, very full quartet
schedule of elementary school gigs, in NYC and on Long Island. He was in his
mid eighties at the time and certainly not a marketing guru, but he taught
me a good lesson.

Cheers,
Steve