[Dixielandjazz] Hitchcock

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Sun Oct 2 11:15:34 PDT 2005

Here's why Hitchcock made his observation:

Reasonable people should understand the two sides of relationships.

For example the "A" side and the "B" side.  Using Sex an example, the "A" side
wants action quick while the "B" side wants slow.

A bride wants a beautiful reception that will be a cherished memory.  The hotel
wants to schedule workers, furnish food and drink, get the place looking good,
keep the wild kids under control and get it over with by 11:00.

With respect to the artistry of music, all quality musicians  want to produce
beautiful, timeless music. They have worked  hard over the  years to produce a
marvelous sound on their instruments.  They can read.  They can inprov.  They
are called "Side men"

Then there is the process of getting gigs, pricing gigs, arranging the right
musicians for the gig, getting the right equipment for sound projection,
dressing the band member appropriately for the gig, getting the musicians to
the gig on time, having the right music, entering into contracts, getting
deposits, reassuring the customer that this will be the "right" music, setting
up the bandstand, calling the tunes, announcing the music and possibility light
banter with the  audience, etc. and etc.  These are call "Band Leaders".

"A" and "B".  The magic of the music doesn't happen without both sides of the
equation.

Hitchcock was placed in the role of the "Band Leader", "A", and his view of the
workers [ artists ], "B" was that they were unaware of the big picture and had
to be managed to obtain the magic of movies.  His observation is perfectly
understandable.  What is interesting is that commonly  "A" or "B" do not really
appreciate each other's role.  And in particular, the artist does not
understand the business side of the process.

Russ Guarino