[Dixielandjazz] Hitchcock

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 2 03:11:07 PDT 2005

Hello Bob and all

You wrote:
>OK, OK, I'll bite, what did Alfred Hitchcock say about actors?<

The saying has come down to us in more than one version, with Hitchcock
being equivocal about all of them.

The most charitable version is "Actors should be treated like cattle".

Given that Hitchcock was a law unto himself, he could get away with it.

I'll start ducking   :-)

But seriously, artistic endeavour without direction can be messy. The point
I was making (rather elliptically) is that, with all this talk about gigs,
not much has been said about aesthetic satisfaction. And to take it
further, is the main difference between "the hobby players and the guys
that understand music as a business" money? Or could ego be involved? If
so, who has the biggest egos - the hobbyists or the pros?

Or all of the above, including listeners?

As I have said before, I know everything about jazz but don't know what I
like.

:-)

Anton