[Dixielandjazz] Sonny Rollins

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Oct 1 20:57:15 PDT 2005

I guess it's all a matter of how far into the development of jazz one wishes
to go.  I've heard Rollins live 4-5 times since about 1972 or thereabouts,
the last time maybe 10 years ago.  I never heard him give a bad performance.

I think that's because after my earliest infatuation with OKOM, which is
still very much a part of MKOM, I started getting interested in players
Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and even Sonny Rollins.  I see a natural
progression from the early players to the swing era players, to the boppers,
and even to the hard boppers like Rollins.

You don't like it.  I do.  You say it's not jazz.  I say it is.  You say
he's playing scales.  I say, "If you really want to hear a guy playing
scales, listen to Kenny G.  He even does it while using circular breathing."

This discussion sounds like something from 1948.

Hal Vickery