[Dixielandjazz] Re: verse of "The Blackbottom"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 30 22:00:58 PST 2005

Dear Tony,
I can't verify that the words to the verse of "Black Bottom" hereunder come
from the original sheet music, but this is what I have.
There are variations to what you posted.
I have checked the version below against the Annette Hanshaw recording, and
they is identical.
Now, who did the transcription you gave?
And had he/she been drinking?
8>)

"Black Bottom" (1926. Ray Henderson, music - Buddy DeSylva, Lew Brown,
lyrics)
Oh the black bottom of the Swanee River
Sometimes liked to shake and shiver
But it makes the darkies feel like strutting around
By watching
They found a way to imitate it
I know they exaggerate it
But I wish that you could see the dance that they found
Ev'ry high-brown gal and her bon-bon buddy
Go down where the flats are muddy
To do a step that soon will be renowned.