[Dixielandjazz] Cheap Bookers

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 17:12:14 PST 2005

Couple of thoughts on cheap bookers.

Larry, take NYC off you good pay for jazz gigs cities. The guys up there
frequently work for $25 a night in jazz clubs. The monied gigs are more
commercial. The Dixieland guys up there haven't yet figured out how to put a
Dixieland Band into a commercial gig. Same is true in most cities, including
Philadelphia where I prosper by doing just that.

We get guys from NYC and/or Northeastern NJ/PA to come down and work in
Atlantic City, NJ because the money is so much better than what they get at
home, even though it is a 200+ mile round trip on toll roads for them.

We also do a lot of Retirement Homes where our band fee (6 piece) is two
thirds of their monthly entertainment budget. Yet they manage to get
musicians during those other weeks because the other guys work more cheaply.

Why do they hire us? Because the residents DEMAND us. Plus, the Resident
Associations often contribute half of our fee to make it easier to pay us. I
suspect that most all Retirement Homes have a Resident's Association, and/or
"angels" who will contribute if they like the entertainer, in order to get
quality. That's why Wiggins has such good looking promo stuff to show them.

Don't overlook the money contribution power of such angels. We've been
sponsored by all sorts of organizations to play for pay at Veteran's
Hospitals. Public Libraries, Street Festivals, Old Age homes, Churches, etc.

Most often used "I'll get rid of this guy" phrase is "We don't have the
money." Most of us cut and run when we hear it, but that supposed objection
can be overcome a lot of the time with proper preparation. (Like the famous
"Seven P's" the Marines learn in boot camp)

Bob Romans, cheers for not worrying about that NY Eve gig. Your Band is
worth $3200 for 2 hours, (400/man) at least . . . if you don't take a leader
fee. $3600 if you do and you are bringing the sound system. My similar
clients here know what kind of money we get by now and so none of them choke
at a quote. New clients sometimes do, but I just refer them to references.

Cheers,
Steve