[Dixielandjazz] What a Wonderful World was Twinkle Twinkle

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 06:34:47 PST 2005

Larry Walton wrote about WWW and TTLS. In support of his position here is my
2 cents.

The opening bars of WWW and Twinkle Twinkle are based upon the EXACT SAME
CHORDS. And the opening melodic line is virtually identical. This is why
people all over the world love WWW.

Barbone Street points this out in our Elementary School Program, Jazz for
Kids, and we use it as an example of how songs borrow from one another. And
how jazz came about.

The kids, 5 to 10 years old love it and understand the concept.

Yes, there are differences in the rest of the tune, but then, nobody (except
the re-creator bands) likes to be a complete plagiarist.

Just about all music has it roots in the music of the past. e.g. Lots of the
American Songbook has roots in Brahms. (among others)

Cheers,
Steve