[Dixielandjazz] How to make $800 or more

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Nov 21 15:54:31 PST 2005

On an earlier post I was talking about producing CD's fairly cheaply.  I
did a Christmas CD last year for a few friends and used it as a business
card with good results.

Yesterday as I walked through a computer store (Comp USA) I decided to
give it a try.  I found a printer that will print a high quality label
directly on the CD itself.  The Epson R320 is a 6 color photo quality
printer with a CD drawer.  It cost $129.  They had a cheaper model for
$99 the RS220.  So if you were to produce 100 CD's this is what it would
cost assuming you threw away the printer after the first 100

$129   CD printer
$ 40    100 printable CD's
$ 15     100 CD cases (this is a  guess - I think I paid about $10 for a
hundred)
$ 15     Photo paper, 1 CD cover print per sheet folded.  This could be
cheaper if you have a color lazer printer.
Use pre 1923 tunes and pay no royalties.

total cost  $199

If you sell the CD's for $10 each you make $801

If you make more CD's your cost is 70 cents each. You make $930 per
hundred and if you sell them for $15 you make $1430.  Cool huh?

If you just have to have them shrink wrapped I would contact some of
your local handicapped industries.  They may be able to do it for you
inexpensively.  Personally I use a tab of scotch tape.

There is a Duplicator that goes for @$1850 that will duplicate and print
a CD all at one time and will hold 50 CD's.

The skills needed are the ability to do computer artwork and own a paper
cutter.  Even if you aren't a whiz at photoshop or corel draw you could
handle just a print label.

There is a new technology out that uses double sided DVD or CD's.  It
burns your label on one side while it records the other.  I thought that
was cool.  I think you need a double sided burner for that though.
Maybe someone else knows more about this than I do.

This way is a little more work but you make a lot more with a lot fewer
dollars put out.
Larry
St. Louis