[Dixielandjazz] Re: Valve Trombone a lost art in jazz

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 24 16:50:44 PST 2005

Dear Bill, Mick and list mates,
                                        The earliest jazz bands relied
largely on the valve trombone,although one or two early players used
the slide instrument. (The tailgate style seems to have emerged after
1910 with Jack Carey and Kid Ory. (Ory converted to slide trambone
after 1908) Mostly the early players used short  horns that may have
sounded a little like the  so called flugelbone, though photos suggest
that Frank Dusen and Joe Petit may have had longer ones more like the
present ones. We have been unable to find any of the short form
instruments here but I believe Ade Monsborough may have had one that
now resides in a jazz museum somewhere.
                                      The aforementioned John Bates who
plays with us is using his regular VT ( no longer having the
flugelbone......). Although there are no recordings of the early VT
style, interviews and biographies  suggest that the style was very
different from the much later  style of VT players like Brad Gowans.
                                      Our experience, working from early
scores and commentary suggests the vamping bone reinforces and
compensates for  the rather light bass rhythm sound from the bowed bass
and guitar. Additionally the additional scalar flexibility of the VT
allows the player to perform intricate   melody passages in the  faster
turn of the century  raggy songs and ragtime transcriptions. This
facilitates the trombone taking  it's turn carrying the melody -  said
to be a feature of early jazz performance. Comment from audiences
suggests they have picked up on  the new sound and appreciated the
contribution of the valve trombone.
regards
Dan Hardie
Check out the website: