[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill with strings

Tom Saunders tcornet at webtv.net
Thu Nov 24 10:16:00 PST 2005

Hi,
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on the
WBD string thing.

When I listened to his first recording,
"Because They All Love You" , I was
flabergasted that he sounded so much like Bix. So Bix really did
influance him. The
Davison style came latter, as I'm sure he didn't wany to copy anyone.
That's way he was not impresed with anyone who tried to play just like
him. If I had played his hotes just like he did I wouldhave lasted a
week , maybe. I never wanted his notes. I
wanted his "fire".

Bill was very proud of the string albums. In
fact he did it again in Europe years latter.
Gery Moore was the one who got the attention of Columbia in the first
place.
The story I gut from Bill was that Columbia
loved the idea of the "dirty horn" with a string section and was about
to put some money into the venture and along came
Johnny Mathis. That's were the money went.

I hope you all have great holidays,
Tom Saunders