[Dixielandjazz] Hat Trick

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Thu Nov 24 09:00:51 PST 2005

I remember hearing the term "hat trick" in reference to a three-goal game in
hockey at least as early as 1960 in Chicago Blackhawks games.  I understood
that its use in hockey went back (at least) to the early days of the NHL.
In hockey the practice was for the fans to throw their hats onto the ice
when a player accomplished the feat.

In baseball a "hat trick" is negative.  Players use it to refer to a day in
which a batter strikes out three times.  Tom Paciorek went the hat trick one
better when he was doing color commentary for the Chicago White Sox.  If a
player struck out four times in a game, Paciorek said he earned "the golden
sombrero."

Hal Vickery