[Dixielandjazz] Hat Trick

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Thu Nov 24 08:32:34 PST 2005

It may, or may not, be of interest to pommies and limeys who don't know this
already, and a few others, that the origin of "hat trick"goes back to the
days when cricketers wore hats, not caps, and any bowler who took three
wickets in succession was awarded a hat. I don't think it came into common
use in the USA until the 1960s and 1970s when, in a Boston Bruins broadcast
I was listening to, the commentator said that someone had scored three
goals--a "hat trick." He had no idea where it came from so I told him and it
is now used in many sports. More useless information! Cheers.

Fred