[Dixielandjazz] Working In The Trenches

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 23:23:34 PST 2005

Hi steve and all:L

polite snip: from the "Jessica Williams Quote"

"The truth is that most musicians who work in nightclubs and bars
average
considerably less than $100 a night for a full 5 hours of music (from
9pm to
2am). The bartender, waiters, and waitresses make more, much more. My
gardener makes three times that much (and deserves it). This wage has
changed not at all in 25 years. Some musicians make $50 a night, and
most
make $75. Those musicians lucky enough to land a steady hotel job in a
rich
area (such as Monterey, CA) may make $200 per night. That's unusual, and
considered excellent pay."

"And it hurts me too. Don't get the idea that I'm casting any aspersions
here. I admire the musicians who work for little or no compensation 'in
the
trenches'. At least they're making music and turning a few people on to
jazz. I can't cut the wages, the environment, and the attitudes. I get
sick
and depressed in that 'scene'. That's my problem. But I do admire those
musicians."
*************************

It certainly is, and who is blowing smoke at her about Monterey, Ca.
hotels paying $200.00 a night, there is only one hotel in that town
that I know of that even has live music, and if a musician makes
$200.00 a night there it is most likely the solo pianist at the piano
bar.  At the Doubletree. on the Wharf and they also probably play to
almost nobody.

Yes, Monterey is a very affluent community but also one of the cheapest
ones on the coast,  as my former friend Bob Cravens used to say, they
have deep pockets but very short arms.   Try getting a gig at Clint
Eastwood's restaurant for good pay.

I have a friend playing piano at the Top of the Mark in SAN FRANCISCO,
four nights a week for that money, and five years ago he played at the
Clift Hotel six nights a week for $100,000.00 a year.   Such is the
reality of the Left Coast folks.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins