[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms - Public Perception

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 22:27:43 PST 2005

That pretty much says it like it is Steve:

I keep getting comments on what my band is doing playing to younger
audiences around the globe, and one of the best compliments I have seen
in print yet comes from a list that is full of Rocker bands and
Electronica and Rappers, and Hip Hoppers and Holy Hip Hoppers  (The
Christian Ones).

They constantly post things like wow "YOU Old GUYS REALLY ROCK"   "You
Guys are Awesome" and Can We be your opening ACT?

I promote us on that list as a "Heavy Metal Band"  and tell them to add
up the weight of all the brass instruments and if it ain't heavy I'll
carry their Brother.  :))

Kids are starving for good music and will embrace OKOM if it is just
put in front of them.

Your recent College dates clearly prove that, so maybe guys like us
should just stop preaching to the Choir and let them wallow in their
own self pity.   For the most part when guys like you and I and Mike
get on the soap box they just ignore us as BSing bores or worse.

The Public Perception of Dixieland is indeed what we have been
referring to in the past few days, and which our esteemed  friend Bob
Ringwald pointed out about the laughing and making fun of the IMAGE of
Dixieland as you explained it becoming Tiresome.

There was a time in history that this music was indeed respected Highly
in many social circles, and the fact that it has sunk to it's current
low point is the fault of non other than the practitioners and
revivalist preservationist of the genre.  Perhaps that is the problem
in a nutshell  "It is currently being Preserved by the Revivalist"
hummm!!!  never thought about that before:!!  Perhaps they are actually
preserving what never existed but merely their own recreation of what
they thought existed.

Well Bob the problem that many folks don't seem to understand is that
you are absolutely correct about that Tiresome idea, unfortunately the
image of Dixieland and the music that so many Dixieland Bands play
these days simply fits that description to a T.   Tiresome, and you are
not going to turn on any new younger audiences or masses with that
attitude and sound.

If ya'll continue with that attitude and simply go about pacifying the
older and unfortunately dying off generation with the same old same old
mediocre stuff year after year, you will indeed see the market simply
dry up and disappear, especially in the USA which is the land of
instant Gratification and a never ending desire for What's New?

Cheers,

Tom "Getting to old to fight" Wiggins

Also getting too old to keep trying to teach Old Dogs new tricks,  I
have finally been convinced that they simply don't want to know any new
tricks, even the ones they should have learned forty years ago.